Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Nov 28 14:12:05 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 04:35 -0800, R Parker wrote:

> I really hope you don't do that. RME has provided
> "Pro" grade audio hardware when Linux Audio needed it
> in order to become a legitimate alternative to
> proprietary solutions. I hope you consider how much
> work has gone into Linux Audio and how difficult it is
> to develop that type of business relationship.

Actually, i can put myself in their shoes pretty easily.

(years ago)
"Hey, can we give access to the Open Source folks to our design
documentation so that they can write Linux drivers?"
"Well, is it going to provide to our competition sand to pour into our
gas tank?"
"No, the required info does not go too deep into our hardware secrets."
"Then go for it."
(a while later)
"Hey, look, the Open Source people wrote the driver, and they're giving
us free advertising on their forums. Sales are increasing. They're
depicting us as the good guys who are doing the right thing."
"Cool."
(later on, Fireface is released)
"Can we release the design info to the Open Source people so that they
can write a Linux driver?"
"No, because Fireface is different, everyone in the industry will be
able to do instant replicas of our technology."
(a while later)
"Hey, we're on Slashdot, we're depicted as the big bad monopolist who
keeps all their technology proprietary and does not let poor Open Source
folks play with their toys."
"Really? Did MOTU get the same kind of bad publicity?"
"No."
"Well, i guess this is the reward for being nice guys and involving
ourselves with the Open Source stuff. We won't repeat this mistake, i
hope everyone else in the industry learned the lesson as well."

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see an Open Source driver for the
Fireface. But if it's true that it would reveal too much info, then i
understand them.

...Or it could be a management change and now it's "company policy" to
not dance to the Open Source tune. :-/

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/