Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 15:06:37 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:50:27 -0500, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 13:03 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > It means that the drivers can't be bundled with distros and we won't be able
> > to provide users & developers with technical support, which is a great shame.
> >

> Fine with me.  If I shelled out for RME hardware I better be able to
> call RME for support, same as on any other OS.  You get what you pay
> for, right?

Sure, but when you buy it and the box says 'Requires Mac OS X or
Windows XP' then as a buyer I have to respect that. I cannot expect
them to support Linux when it wasn't advertised that it works on
Linux. RME has given me GREAT support under Windows and I expect that
this will not change. They are a great company. I own two cards and
wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I was going to set up another
Windows box.

> > OK, _very_ few people are using firewire technology for music, up till now I'd
> > considered it the preserve of mac/motu users.
>
> Dude, there are a _lot_ of mac/motu users...

Damn straight, and 1394 is getting much more air time in studios
because it's easier to set up a network and move devices around as the
need arises.

So far we're only talking 1394a, but 1394b support is coming also and
this will bring more devices and more power as there is now enough
bandwidth to distribute processing power outside the computer. No
longer does it have to be a card inside the box to get DSP power...