[linux-audio-user] open source firewire

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Nov 28 15:33:45 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 12:23 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > More than two years pass and USB is still useless for low latency work
> > under linux.  Anyone out there have a different experience?
>
> Probably not, but if so I hope they speak up...

The usb-usx2y stuff works great (Tascam gear, not sure what else),
people get very low latencies, but you have to use the specific hwdep
JACK driver.  The problem is something like "USB's inability to
atomically handle power of 2 period sizes".

I was not aware the situation was that bad.  I guess you are referring
to the snd-usb-audio driver?  Please file an ALSA bug report, including
the exact hardware.  If it works on Windows but not on Linux, that's a
bug.

Lee