Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Chris Metzler cmetzler at speakeasy.net
Sun Nov 28 16:46:54 EST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:58:57 +0100
Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:28, Chris Metzler wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:48:05 +0100
> > Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> wrote:
> > >

> > > If MacOSX can have them, so can we, we have a greater marketshare.
> >
> > Among pro-audio users?  Can you show me the source for this claim?
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I meant overall marketshare.

At this point, I dunno whether I even believe that.  The one well-
publicized claim in this regard that I'm aware of, from Dan Kuznetzky/
IDC, has been roundly trashed by most other business analysts.  It's
hard to know for sure, of course, since Linux is not distributed in a
comparatively easily quantifiable way like MacOS is.  But assuming
that Linux is gaining ground compared to MacOS, most studies I've seen
have indicated that the biggest desktop Linux growth is coming from
things like PCs used as point-of-sale systems, and large networks of
telephone call center machines, and stuff like that.  Those are not
the machines/users that are going to be doing serious audio work.

> I believe that the number of
> pro audio hw customers that are also linux user lies somewhere between
> 500-1000.

I too don't know what this number should be.  But if it's the one
you give here, that's a small number.

> It hasn't been measured
> yet, and it's similar to overall marketshare where the number could be
> higher because it's difficult to measure the number of dualbooters.

Agreed.

> Perhaps i'm just being optimistic.

I think so.  But in the long term, I think there's every reason to be
optimistic.  We've all seen the absurd amount of change just in the last
several years.  I think there's every reason to be optimistic for the
propsects of desktop Linux, and Linux as a fairly mainstream choice for
DAWs etc.  But naturally, we all want the long term to be right now.

-c

Chris Metzler			cmetzler at speakeasy.snip-me.net
		(remove "snip-me." to email)