Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Nov 28 18:15:24 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 01:45 +0100, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > Of course I would be pretty annoyed if they just drop Linux completely,
> > for the same reasons as others in this thread - they have a relationship
> > with the community at this point.  But I don't think they would be that
> > stupid.  After all pissing off hundreds of potential customers is just
> > as bad an idea as giving valuable IP to the competition.
>
> Seems i can't convince  you on this issue Lee :)
> It's _not_ _at_ _all_ as valuable as it might seem.

Hey I don't necessarily disagree.  I think open hardware would be great
and it looks like some might happen.  I am just saying that RME designed
the hardware, so this is for them to determine.

In theory you should be able to patent whatever innovations you make in
your hardware design, so you can release open drivers without being
ripped off.  But IANAL and I have no idea whether it really works this
way.  Apparently the main reason Nvidia and ATI cannot open their source
is because they are both knowingly infringing each others patents.

Lee