why open source drivers [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:04:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:36:12 +0100, Marek Peteraj <marpet at naex.sk> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately they did. To quote a part of their response:
> > > "> [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more
> > >
> > > Complete BS. We have and will support Linux/Alsa as before. The only
> > > excluded product is the Fireface."
> > >
> > > Marek
> >
> > Well, I don't know exactly what you're calling BS
>
> No no you don't understand, i was quoting RME. I had a discussion with
> them on their forum.

No, I think I do understand. I'm just saying that what what is meant
by the word 'support' is different to different people. TTBOMK they
never provided any drivers for any devices. They only produced
technical documents, and that was quite a while ago. Times are tougher
now. we've had a bad economic downturn. They are not doing things for
free anymore, which is true for many companies. If they told you
earlier that information for the the Fireface would be given to the
Alsa developers and then later reneged then that is very unfortunate.
On the other hand, if you purchased the Fireface without this promise
from RME, or based on someone in the Alsa community saying something
like 'RME's a great company. They always give us info. No problem.
We'll do  a driver for you'   then that is very unfortunate.

I don't understand exactly how you got yourself into this predicament.
I just know it's really disappointing. I've been there. I know from
experience I cannot help you. I hope someone else can.

I don't know whether you'd be at all interested, but there is a Linux
1394 bus sniffer/protocol analyzer called Nosy. It requires a specific
adapter card. (non-OHCI) You can capture packets being sent to the
Fireface under Windows and possibly develop your own model of how to
use the device. Armed with this info possibly some developer would be
interested in helping out. However that's potentially a huge
undertaking depending on how many things need to happen inside of the
Fireface to make it work. If it's firmware doesn't require loading
across 1394 then it may not be all that bad. However if it needs
firmware every time it's powered up then it's a much more difficult
job. Either way it's a lot of work. I've tried using Nosy to look at
my 002 Rack (just for fun) and the amount of stuff getting transfered
is enormous.

With best regards,
Mark