[linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Ryan Gallagher ruinaudio at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 14:14:04 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 13:35 +0100, jonathan segel wrote:

> >> It's also apples and oranges, because the application is different.
> >> Most Linux is in data centers and ISPs where you might have 50 or
> >> hundreds in a room.  Most MacOS is on the desktop at home.
>
> ok i'm going to add two more cents to this pot, worth exactly that.

Oh, I disagree... your post is a very valuable POV.  Thanks for
expressing it.  Linux users are still a minority and linux audio users
an even smaller one, downright miniscule.  We should try to stay "real"
in estimating our tiny presence in this huge industry.

<snip>

> all that said: most of my time around computers is either in university
> electronic music studios or rock music recording studios, or with other
> musicians. the MAJORITY of these people are using mac os x. in the
> studios it's about 8 to 1, mac to pc. among younger musicians it's
> about 7 to 1. for example, every member of my band owns a mac laptop,
> including the tour manager and record company people. our european tour
> manager uses a pc laptop.

Though I'm not as "in the know" as I once was... in all my years
watching shows, talking to bands, hanging with "real" musicians, I've
never once come across anyone using linux besides myself for audio.
This is Chicago btw.  I've tried to proselytize but to no avail ;-)

<snip>

> i am really interested in getting more linux audio into
> university electronic music studios, i think that's key to expansion of
> the platform.

I agree.  I've participated in some user groups where Pd, Max/MSP, SC3
and other experimental apps were featured... all on mac or pc.  People
are surprised to learn there are even such tools to be found on linux
(yes really).  It'd be nice if linux could leech further into the halls
of learning.

> so back to the topic. at home in my home studio (where we actually make
> records!) i have several computers. i have two digidesign interfaces
> for mac (one 001 for the desktop, one mbox, that i carry on tour, ever
> since they made multi-client drivers for it.)

The 001 and mbox are pretty much the entry-level standard in the
pro/prosumer market from my experience.  Neither one works on linux
afaik.

And ProTools would therefore be the defacto DAW (though Steinberg stuff
probably holds the "bedroom studio" market).  When in the studio,
musicians are often presented a hard disk with their "pro-tools session"
on it, in this form it's useless on linux unfortunately.

Hardware and software non-interoperability is probably the #2 reason
(behind the shortage of native audio software) for people NOT switching
to linux.

As a friend recently said; "You can do a hell of a lot more on mac/pc,
but you can do a hell of a lot more for free on linux."

Anyway, the reason I'm responding is to:

1) second the validity of your statements regarding OS representation
(LAU is a pretty insular community, sometimes it feels bigger than it
is)

2) raise a question as to how the message can get out that "linux audio
exists"

3) partially answer my own question :P

About #2...  Firstly, I know I often need encouragement to actually get
out there to create and/or perform.  But actually taking it to the
streets and demonstrating linux audio would surely help spread the word.
Playing out (if that's your thing) is good for you and also good for
"the cause".  I mean the more people see linux-laptops making awesome
sound the more interest will follow.

I'm a teacher and I must admit, I do sneak linux into the classroom
often.  Hmm... though I get rather low traffic, I think I'll revamp my
website to more prominently feature linux audio.

http://ruinaudio.com

Hmm... I wonder if Tape Op (a great FREE magazine http://tapeop.com/ )
would accept articles about linux.

Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas about how to increase linux-audio
awareness, I'd be interested to hear.

-ry

--
Ryan Gallagher <ruinaudio at comcast.net>