[linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Nov 29 17:27:08 EST 2004

On Monday 29 Nov 2004 23:55, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Now let's look at the "tiny" linux audio market. Ask everyone what
> unit he has got. I bet it's going to be 2/3rd RME 1/3 Maudio.

No, it's going to be 1/30 RME 1/20 M-Audio, 11/12 "other".

I'd be prepared to bet most Linux audio users are using soundcard audio,
SoundBlaster variants and so on.  I reckon they make up a majority even
of the ones who subscribe to LAU.

That said,

> Very interesting market
> for RME since it's *dominant* in this new emerging market.
> [...]
> > (LAU [...] sometimes [...] feels bigger than it is)
>
> Sadly it's exactly the opposite.

I think I agree with both your statements here.  RME and M-Audio are
surely dominant amongst people who thought and spent enough to be using
their cards.  And I do believe there's a fairly substantial Linux audio
users' market (if you will) outside the LAU subscriber list.

But that's probably not enough to sustain any hardware company now.
Whether it ever will be is probably up to that company and its like, as
much as it's up to us.

Chris