[linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux audio hardware market research [was: creating a wiki "soundcard experiences" site]

Ruth A. Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Mon Nov 29 15:28:28 EST 2004

MarC wrote:
> for example: for my modest audigy I'd like to create a page with:
> (of course, I'm a beginner and I may be wrong with many things out
> there, that's why I want to put it in the Wiki, to let you correct it...
> all these "knowledge" is from the agnula user list, and personal experience)
> I think is a good idea to avoid the same postings over and over on the
> linux lists about soundfonts for example, sfarK compression, support,
> advice...
>
> _Sound Blaster Audigy_

MarC,

I took the liberty of starting a page called
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LaSoundBlasterAudigy by copying
and pasting much of the text from this email (with a few edits related
to mostly formatting type stuff).

Look it over, and make any changes you deem appropriate.

BTW, as I made this page on Windows (sorry!) I was reminded that the
pages don't render properly (since the new skin) with IE 5.0 or less (I
think 5.5 fixes the problem).  There are a variety of workarounds --
when I move WikiLearn to my own site, I will probably use the classic
skin.  If you register (at twiki.org), you can arrange to use the
classic skin (or, what I use, a skin that puts the left panel on the
right) by making a few changes on your home page.  You can view my home
page to see the required changes:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Main/RandyKramer.

I'm going on to make an introductory page for the entire Linux Audio
(pseudo) "web" -- I'll tentatively name that page
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/LaLinuxAudio -- suggestions for
better names are welcome.  (Similarly, I wasn't 100% sure you (MarC)
wanted to call the first page "Sound Blaster's Audigy", but assuming
(I'm not up on sound cards), the Audigy is a card made by Sound Blaster,
it seems an appropriate name.  We can adjust it as appropriate, but a
naming convention based on <manufacturer> <card name> seems very
appropriate for discussions of sound cards.  We may create other
conventions as we add other topics.

I'm sending this, then going off to work on the LaLinuxAudio page --
when you see that page you will understand why I want to use a prefix of
La on all the audio related pages -- when WikiLearn is moved to its own
site, we can delete that in favor of having a web devoted to the topic
(perhaps named Linuxaudio (as web names cannot be WikiWords (without
significant changes to the TWiki code)).

I'm rushing through this a little faster than I might normally -- I've
got some things to run off and do, and had some troubles on this
particular (Windows) computer which made me spend a lot more time here
than I planned to.

regards,
Randy Kramer