[linux-audio-user] Preach it! [was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Behringer etc.]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 11:10:58 EST 2004

On 29 Nov 2004 22:49:02 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<nando at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 18:17, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > For the last 6 months PTLE users have been caught in a bind. No PTLE
> > versions run on XP Service Pack 2 so all PTLE systems have to stick
> > with a bad version of Windows that isn't getting updates. I'm scared
> > to do much on the net with my PTLE machine. I don't know why Digi
> > hasn't fixed this. I guess it's hard. The plugin vendors have told us
> > their plugins aren't stable on SP2 either, so it's a mess.
>
> Same on the OSX world, AFAIK, PT does not run on the latest versions.
> -- Fernando

Yes. I don't mean to imply that Digi is treating PC users any worse
than Mac users. There is a certain parity now between Mac and PC at
Digi. Releases come very much at the same time with very much the same
features. (or problems...)

I was reading the web site last evening when I was looking for how
many Digi forum users there are. (almost 49000 people have signed up!
That's huge!) Looks like they are getting closer. They say they have
an in-house version that's working, so I guess it's getting closer.

BTW - I truly think that in the next 12-24 months Digi will release
PTLE for Linux. If they did they solve the hardware support problem
and have an advantage over anyone using other Linux tools with home
grown Alsa support. That would be pretty cool. If their normal release
policies applied then for $75 I'd have a 3rd OS to run on.

- Mark