[linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] [Fwd: Re: Linux audio latency]

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Oct 3 01:14:46 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 01:25, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 18:13:15 -0400
> Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, there is a known issue where starting a new jack client causes
> > xruns.  I don't remember what the status is.
>
> Starting a new jack client in itself won't produce xruns. Also, cleanly
> shutting down a jack client will not in itself produce xruns [iirc]. But
> it seems that many, if not most, jack apps, get some part of the RT
> operation stuff not right. Especially start up and shutdown.

Including jackd itself.  There is always an xrun produced when jackd
starts up.  Jackd intentionally ignores this, you have to comment out
some code to see the report.  I was never able to figure out what causes
this xrun.  I did establish that the duration is always about the same,
depending on whether NPTL or linuxthreads is in use - in one case it was
70 ms or so, in the other 30.

Lee