[linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 16:27:14 EDT 2004

> > Actually, I'm pretty sure that the MidiSports all require firmware,
> > but your report makes me think that it's all so well integrated in
> > Alsa and hopplug now that users really don't even notice that this is
> > takingplace any more.
>
> Or if Windows has already loaded the firmware into the midisport. My
> computer doesn't shut down the usb ports, so the firmware stays in the
> device until I remove the usb plug or the mains plug from the computer.
>
> If the irritating led labeled "USB" is pulsating, the firmware is in.
>
>  Sampo

Yep. If firmware is not loaded on the MidiSport 2x2 then the LED doesnot pulse.

However, on mine if Linux loads the firmware the device is known one
way, where as if Windows loads the firmware it's known another way. A
warm boot doesn't change the waythe device is known, so what happens
is if I boot Linux and then warm boot to Windows then Windows tells me
I have a new device. If I first boot to Windows and then warm boot to
Linux then Linux tells me I have a new device. My only solution to
keep everyone happy is to pull the USB cable and then hotplug the
device.

fortunately I don't do this set of events too often.