[linux-audio-user] xruns - FC2/Planet(custom) vs. Gentoo(custom)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 18:23:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:21:43 +0100, Steve Harris
<s.w.harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 12:33:13 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Humm...I don't know what the worst is that could happen. Probably
> > nothing bad and it really wouldn't be that difficult to try. However,
> > let's say I do it and it works, or I do it and it doesn't work. At
> > that point what have I learned and how would it help me?
>
> Well, I think the only difference is the compiler, so it would tell us
> that the compiler is making a differece. If the plant kernel still gives
> you xruns it tells you that some of the system stuff in gentoo is causing
> you problems.
>
> One thing that occurs is the filesystems, I think only ext[23] has been RT
> tuned in 2.6, so if your gentoo system is using something else that could
> be your problem.

Steve,
   Hi. Well, I'm now talkign to you from a Planet kernel booted in a
Gentoo environment. It took mea few tries to get things in the right
place before it would boot. I'm sort of surprised it worked, but the
time onthe kernel is correct:

flash root # uname -a
Linux flash 2.6.9-rc2-mm4-VP-S7 #3 SMP Sat Oct 2 06:08:41 PDT 2004
i686 Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux
flash root #

   Unfortunately (or furtunately maybe) the xruns continue with this
kernel when booted under Gentoo. The number of xruns seems similar
whether I use the FC2/Planet version or the one I built under Gentoo.

   Now --- what does this tell me?

1) That there is nothign wrong with the Gentoo kernel build process? I
think that's the case, and that's good.

2) That there is something else about the setup of the system under
Gentoo that's causing this to happen? I guess - maybe this is true.

What now? I'm not at all sure what to do next. Compare ps -aux stacks
from both sides? I've already tried the simple things that were
different, like turning off xsceensavers which I had under Gentoo but
not under FC2 since I'd just set it up.

Any ideas??????

Cheers,
Mark