[linux-audio-user] suggestions for USB/serial/PCMCIA MIDI interfaces ?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Mon Oct 4 07:41:28 EDT 2004

On Monday 04 Oct 2004 12:25, Emiliano Grilli wrote:
> So, they are at the same price, offer the same functionality, one is easy
> to setup and does not involve the use of proprietary software, the other is
> "more difficult to get working", why should I choose the m-audio?

The MidiSport 2x2 doesn't involve the use of proprietary software, as there is
the GPL firmware (which Pedro mentioned) that works fine.  Same goes for the
1x1, but not I think the 4x4 or 8x8.

Nitpicking aside, I agree with you -- I have a 2x2, and I've found the
firmware situation just awkward enough to recommend getting something else
instead.  Twice now I've managed to take it with me on the road only to
remember, when miles from an internet connection, that I'd upgraded the
laptop OS more recently than I'd last used the MidiSport and that I no longer
have a copy of the firmware.

Chris