[linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] [Fwd: Re: Linux audio latency]

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Mon Oct 4 08:53:15 EDT 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:29:49 +0200
Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:

> > Actually, that's not entirely correct. I've been talking to Paul
> > about this. The xruns created by exiting clients is due to jackd
> > having to rework it's internals. When doing this reordering, jackd
> > has to lock the data it's modifying and sometimes (very often) there
> > will be an xrun because the audio thread is waiting for the lock to
> > be released.
> >

> Ah, and btw: Shouldn't the audio thread just try the lock and if it
> fails to claim it produce a period of silence? What spot in the code
> is this?

Hmm, it looks like jack is already doing this. See jack_run_one_cycle()
in jackd/engine.c:2351.

	if (jack_try_lock_graph (engine)) {
		/* engine can't run. just throw away an entire cycle */
		driver->null_cycle (driver, nframes);
		return 0;
	}

maybe there are other places though which just lock and block as
result..

flo