[linux-audio-user] LADSPA Fuzz effects

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Oct 6 02:35:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:19:40AM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Maybe try something like:
>
> input -> PreampIV -> Cabinet -> output
> ... hmm, i'm gonna go build it and try that myself :-)

... and it rocks! :-)
I'm using the 1.12 version of Tim's TAP plugins via
jack-rack.
This setup is nicely responsive to finger dynamics and guitar volume knob.
The cabinet emulations do seem a little on the bright side,
which ends up making me turn up the pre-distortion bass control
too much (results in mushy attack). I solved this by adding a
lowpass filter after the speaker emulation (but before
the reverb).  It doesn't "feel" quite right without the acoustic
resonance of the strings & body at high volume, but you could
probably get around that by turning up the monitors a lot ;-)

With jackd set to -p 128 -n 3, it's playable in realtime.
-p 64 feels tighter but my system can't quite hack that
at the moment.

Attached are a couple jack-rack presets to try it out.
These were whipped up pretty quick with a single-coil
Danelectro guitar (sounds kinda like a tele).
Adjust EQ accordingly if you play something radically different
than that.

The plugins I'm using in these presets are:

        tube preamp emulation + tone controls (1777/PreampIV)
        amp/speaker emulation (1766/Cabinet)
        GVerb (1216/gverb)
        Glame Lowpass Filter (1891/lowpass_iir)

--