[linux-audio-user] ncurses-based MIDI step sequencer a la muse (matrix mode)?

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas plcl at telefonica.net
Wed Oct 6 17:26:49 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004, Dave Phillips wrote:
>   Have you set up DOSemu for MIDI input ? It's not automatic, but it's
> easy. I link ~/.dosemu/run/dosemu-midi_in to /dev/midi00, the hardware
> MIDI port on my system. If you're using midid I'm not sure recording can
> be enabled for it.

Yes, thanks. I did it,  but it was not enough. I realized that Cakewalk has a
setup procedure for the MPU401 MIDI driver settings. I needed to change the
IRQ number to match the DOSemu sound emulation parameters, and now recording
(and MIDI thru) is working very well.

If anybody else needs to use Cakewalk for DOS from DOSEmu, the procedure is:
- Start the program under DOSemu with the command "CAKEPRO -S", then:
- From the setup menu, choose 3 (MIDI Interface Setup)
- Change the IRQ number from the default value 2 to 5.

The number 5 is also a DOSemu configuration option in /etc/dosemu.conf,
$_sb_irq, initially set to 5, which is the default Sound Blaster IRQ number.
It can be set to any other number that must match with the Cakewalk driver
setting. Another relevant parameter is the $_mpu_base port number (0x300 by
default).

Regards,
Pedro