[linux-audio-user] Re: Fostex MR-8

Wilbert Berendsen wbsoft at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 9 15:47:37 EDT 2004

On Saturday 09 October 2004 20:14, John Check wrote:
> On Saturday 09 October 2004 11:50 am, Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm in the market for a simple mobile recording equipment, and the
> > Fostex MR-8 looks nice to me.
> > (http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/mr8.shtml)
> > Does anybody have experience with it under Linux?
> >

> > Esp:
> > - the use of the USB with Linux (is it a normal mass storage device?)
>
> If it's class compliant mass storage it'll work.

I don't know, can't really find out at the site and google. Somewhere I
read class B USB device. Does that mean mass storage?

> > - is it possible to update the firmware from within Linux? (otherwise
> > I'll have to have the shop do it for me)
> > - is the contents of the flashcards usable when read with a card
> > reader?
>
> That would depend on the file system format. That is to say as long as
> the filesystem isn't proprietary you're good to go. FAT is the usual
> format.

It uses FAT16, but I don't know about the file format.

tx,
Wilbert

--
Wilbert Berendsen (www.xs4all.nl/~wbsoft, www.kde.nl, www.kerklied.net)
 "Reporter: Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of western civilisation?