[linux-audio-user] synthesizing a wind effect

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Oct 11 10:40:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:27:02 -0700 (PDT), Mark Wilson wrote
> Has anyone used a Linux softsynth to generate a sound
> like wind in the tops of trees?  I'm certainly not a
> programmer, and I'm admittedly a synth newbie, but I'm
> trying to find a way to synthesize this particular
> effect.
>
> My gut tells me I'd be dealing with some white noise
> in a limited high-frequency range.

yup, for the classic cheesy analogue wind effect, filter white noise with
multiple LFO modulation on the cutoff - with a hint of resonance and maybe
some reverb or echo.
I would guess the filter would be low or band pass, but it depends what you're
after.

While you're at it, there is nothing like the "deep space" very lowpass
filtered noise sound!

:)

dave