[linux-audio-user] Latency issues with laptops

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 00:26:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:01:10 -0400, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 22:37, thewade wrote:
> > Is there a way to tell from inside linux, for example a message sent
> > to the kernel, what method acpi uses to access the hardware?
> >

> Not sure.  I asked this question on LKML and have not received an answer
> yet.
>
> Lee

Unless I misunderstood what I read, SMM mode (which I vaguely remember
from when I worked at Phoenix in about 1996) was replaced by ACPI.
(End of the page on the second link.) The question seems to be whether
anyone is still designing machines that even use SMM. I would suggest,
without any real information, that Intel, AMD and Via are probably not
producing chipsets that are broken WRT power management *or*
performance. Power is too easy to measure and Intel has a lot of
competition in the performance areas.

Wouldn't the more likely group of laptops that would be broken in this
manner be older laptops? Or laptos with newer chipsets that could have
bugs? (Like mychipset which *is* newer...)

I would be pretty suprized if an Intel Centrino box was broken in this
manner, but any machine could be I suppose...