[linux-audio-user] planetedge kernels

Joey Reid joe at joeyreid.com
Tue Oct 12 13:04:54 EDT 2004

On Oct 12, 2004, at 1:49 AM, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 18:23, Joey Reid wrote:
>> Hi all. This is probably a question for Fernando, but I am not
>> subscribed to the CCRMA list, so I will post it here and hope you will
>> be kind.
>
> Hmm, maybe you should have subscribed then, this is a very specific
> question... :-)

I was just afraid of all the extra traffic - it is enough keeping up
with this list. But I guess the traffic is not too bad on it, so I
will.

--- snip ---

> So, it is an obsolete driver (apparently this changed sometime around
> 2.6.8)....
>
> What is probably happening in your case is that the drive is being
> recognized, but it is being labeled as /dev/sda instead of the (old)
> convention of it being /dev/hda (or b or c or whatever). But the kernel
> installed originally only knew about the old driver so it is looking at
> an non-existent drive for the root partition.
>
> Check the kernel messages as it boots to see if it is seeing your drive
> and note what it is being recognized as (sda, sdb, etc). I think you
> have to change the root= option in the grub boot line to match this
> (and
> latter possibly also /etc/fstab if you don't use labels for the root
> partition - for sure you'll have to fix the swap partition entry).

that make sense, i will try that when i get home. What I don't
understand though is why it won't work with "root=LABEL=/" since that
doesn't name the device. That is what my grub configuration has, and
that works fine for the fedora kernel 2.6.5

I suspected the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA option after doing a short
google for the message I got, which was, as you say, related to the
"root=" passed in by grub.