[linux-audio-user] [OT] recording levels (mismatch)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 12 15:16:12 EDT 2004

   I am trying to record from a receiver (not sure if that's the right
name, it's the amp/tuner, the thingy that all other components like CD
player, tape deck, video etc. connect to) and it seems like the levels
are too low (the soundcard is soundblaster live platinum, using alsa
drivers that come with kernel 2.6.5).

   the receiver has two stereo audio outputs - one is marked as tape
deck recording and the other one as VCR output but both seem to be about
the same (and there doesn't seem to be a way to change them). I connect
them to the RCA connectors on the front panel (live drive) but even if I
set the mixer to 100% (on line in) the levels are too low. On vu-meter
the levels only go to about 25-30% (max) while the 'normal' audio is
somewhere between 50-75%.

   I believe both the receiver and soundcard work OK (I can record from
receiver to tape deck, I can record to soundcard from other sources) so
I guess there's mismatch between the signal from receiver and what
soundcard expects. Is there anything I can do? do I need some pre-amp or
something? Seems crazy but does it make any sense to try to record from
speaker outputs? Is there any way to change what soundblaster expects on
input?

   TIA

	erik