[linux-audio-user] [OT] recording levels (mismatch)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 12 17:02:17 EDT 2004

Andres Cabrera wrote:
> Hi Erik,
> Usually audio equipment is setup to output/receive at two possible
> levels -10dBu or +4dBV, Semi-pro equipment and home equipment usually
> work at -10, which comes up as very low when the receiver is setup for
> +4. But I would guess the soundblaster card is setup to work at -10 as
> well (I'd be surprised if it isn't).
> Maybe there's some software fader somewhere else in the chain?

   I don't think so, at least I am not aware of anything. The volume is
too low even when I just use the alsamixer to listen to it. When I
connect other devices (ipod, line6 guitar pod, yamaha dd-55 percussion
pad) the volume is OK.

   Actually maybe I could use headphone output, I didn't think of that
(it should be pretty much the same as iPod or guitar pod, I use the same
headphones with all of these).

> Maybe you need to turn the volume of the amp/tuner all the way up?

   nothing I do on amp changes the output in any way (volume,
treble/bass, various effects, dolby settings etc.).

	erik