solved? Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] recording levels (mismatch)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 12:39:17 EDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:11:50 +0100, anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:19:36AM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
> >   sony STR-SE581
> >   voltage 150mV
> >   impedance 10kOhms
> >
> >   the creative.com knowledge base search revealed:
> >   Line In Full Scale Input 2.0 Vrms
> >   Line In Impedance 10k ohms
> >
> >   what is Vrms? I guess it has something to do with voltage... should
> > 2.0 Vrms play nicely with 150mV?

Basically that a 2V sine wave on the input of the Sound Blaster would
give you full volume.

On the other hand, if the Sony only puts out 150mV at full volume then
you are not driving the SB very hard.

Couple this with a 10K output impeadance and a 10K input impedance and
your 150mV is cut in half to 75mV into a 2V input. That's pretty low
in my mind...