[linux-audio-user] live moog madness

Austin aacton at yorku.ca
Fri Oct 15 23:17:45 EDT 2004

It's time to ask for advice.  :-)

I'm playing a show next weekend with a rock band.  I'm using a MIDI
controller and a Roland Sound Canvas for almost everything, but there
are two songs that need typical "Moog" sounds... highly distorted and
heavy portamento (think Weezer or The Rentals).  This the Sound Canvas
cannot do (AFAIK).

Without buying an old Moog, what are my options, and what do you
suggest... looking for cheap, and flawless on-stage?

Ideas:
1.  Look for a cheap used MIDI sound module with great portamento.  I've
never seen one.
2.  Alsa Modular Synth.  I really like the portamento effect, but I've
yet to find any great moog sounds, and I'm not good at making my own.
It's quite stable, but gives me "clicky" artifacts sometimes.
3.  ZynAddSubFX.  Has some great synth sounds, but the portamento is too
"over the top".  Over dramatic.
4.  VST.  I have some *amazing* Moogy VST plugins, but no idea how to
use them with linux.  I'm aware of the wine/vst libraries, but though
they were mainly for effects, not instruments.
5.  Better ideas are welcome.  Remember that simple and reliable is more
important than sound.

Thanks,
Austin

--