[linux-audio-user] newbie to linux sound

Luke (Terry) Vanderfluit luke at chipcity.com.au
Sun Oct 17 00:32:46 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm new to linux sound (but not to sound or linux)
So I'm starting off on a journey and need some help.

I have a dman pci card with cs46xx chipset.

I'm using Redhat 9, when my machine booted it detected the card and
configured it.
However, all is not right.
there are lots of crackles and pops when the volume is up.

It can play wavs but it seems the volume needs to be quite high.

I have downloaded the alsa tarballs (driver, lib, utils)

what should be my first step in trouble shooting this setup

thanks,
kind regards,
Luke