[linux-audio-user] Re: Simple ALSA recording?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Tue Oct 19 03:09:16 EDT 2004

>From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr at ramendik.ru>
>
>But now I want to use ALSA. Which program can I use to monitor input
>levels, and which (possibly different) program can I use for simple,
>buffered, preferrably command-line recording?

What did you find?

I have used years my own Alsashmrec. It uses two processes/threads
one for Alsa reading and one for disk writing. A few years ago
this was absolutely necessary for skipless recording. You want
this feature in the recorder you choose.

Alsashmrec computes max values per a disk buffer and prints them like
this:

  Alsashmrec 1.0
  Recording format: 16-bit/44100 Hz/Stereo
  Buffers: A/D + Shared + Disk == 1024 + 2621440 + 163840 bytes

  0000000000000000000003646564556767777677787767656856585787757678767787
  7677

The print has "x" for the overflow. The screen is eventually filled
with the max values. That is good because I can take a break and
may still see at what point the overflow occured. Perhaps Alsashmrec
should additionally print the time values at the begin of each row.

When two programs are used there is danger that you monitor different
signal plug than what is being recorded.

Juhana