[linux-audio-user] Re: [OT] recording levels (mismatch)

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Tue Oct 19 03:09:23 EDT 2004

>From: Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com>
>
>   I am trying to record from a receiver (not sure if that's the right
[ ... ]
>soundcard expects. Is there anything I can do? do I need some pre-amp or
>something?

Are you recording the radio programs? What are the levels when
you play a CD? Or one of the properly working devices, you listed
in your mail, through the receiver:
  ipod --> VCR in --> tape rec --> live
What are the levels then?

If you record radio, then you need nothing. Radio has lower
amplitude range and all fits to the 14-bit you seem getting in.
Non-HiFi video audio is also quite poor.

It is totally different problem if the recorded audio plays
at too low volume or shows tiny in audio editor. Audio player
authors always forget to make the output faders to range above
the 0 dB. You need to set the output fader to +12 dB to get
normal sound out. This output fader is a software gain: y = gain*x;
not a hardware gain. Or you need to increase the volume somewhere
else, like some Jack app or an editor plugin.

Juhana