[linux-audio-user] GM sound font sets, was Now trying to configure

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Oct 20 09:44:09 EDT 2004

Alejandro Lopez wrote:
> I'm now reading about Windows' SC-55 implementation,

This isn't a "SC-55 implementation" -- while the samples are a reduced
version of the SC-55's samples, the MIDI implementation is essentially
only at the General MIDI level, and not fully GS compatible.

> ... 8mbgmgs.sf2 ...
> It may be the case that it contains the same samples even,

Creative's soundfonts were created by Emu.  It is said that Roland's
sample set is more balanced.

> although I'm kind of guessing it may be a lower quality / more
> compact set, the name looks as it is intended for 8 Mb cards,
> whilst the virtual SC-55 based synth may use a much bigger set I
> guess.

Have a look at the gm.dls file.  Size isn't everything. ;-)

Best regards,
Clemens