[linux-audio-user] ecasound loop

Martin Rocamora mrocamora at adinet.com.uy
Wed Oct 20 18:23:24 EDT 2004

Hi! I need some help on looping a sound using ecasound.

I use the GNU/Linux system as an effect processor (reverb and eq) for a live
show. Some of the list members point my attention to ecasound to do that, and
is working great.
Now I need to play some sounds in loop while doing the effect processing.
Particullary, it would be great to press a key to start playing a sound in
loop, until another key is pressed and that starts playing a second sound in
loop, and so on.
So I tried a simple bash script to do that (using aplay), but it didn't work
as I get a sound interrupt for each loop. Then I made a program in C (using
ncurses and sndlib) to do the job, that's almost finished and seems to work
ok.

And now the questions:
¿Is there a "natural" way of doing sound loops (in the way I discribed) using
ecasound? ¿How can I "connect" the C program to ecasound (without using jack)
while using it as a real-time effect processor?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the long description.

Martín.