[linux-audio-user] OT: ide drives

anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 14:43:16 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 07:44:11PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Why does "everyone" set things up with HDs on one channel, CDs on the other? I
> was told that the slower CD device will slow down the HD. I had run Windoze
> with a setup like the above with no problems, however.

It used to be true. It was often misrepresented as the CD slowing the HD
down to its speed but I think the real reason had something to do with
spurious interrupts not being handled properly by one driver or the
other. I think now everything is properly EIDE or ATAPI (or what ever
the relevant spec is) compliant, it is no longer a problem.

There is still some sense in putting two HDs on different controllers,
so that drive use can be efficiently overlapped if both drives are
likely to be active at once.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk