[linux-audio-user] joysticks

Nathaniel Virgo nathaniel.virgo at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 23 10:52:50 EDT 2004

Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody has any experience of using gaming
josticks as musical controllers on linux?

I was thinking of getting a couple of cheap-ish but decent joysticks
(the kind where you can rotate the stick to control three axes at once)
with as many fire buttons as possible and learning to play using them
both at once.  Ultimately I'd like to be able to play a gig without
using keyboard, mouse or screen, just the joysticks and perhaps some
MIDI foot pedals.

Will this actually work?  Do all USB joysticks work in linux?  Are
gaming joysticks accurate enough to use as musical controllers?  Which
software supports them? (I know they're supported to some extent in ssm,
galan and pd -- I'll probably end up learning to use pd as I want to be
able to use the fire buttons to do everything from triggering samples to
changing patches and pd seems to offer the most flexibility that way)
Is there any software that supports using two at once or will I need to
do some hacking?  Are there any major pitfalls I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Nathaniel.