[linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 19:59:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:45:06 -0400, Laura Conrad <lconrad at laymusic.org> wrote:

> Here's the only thing I see in dmesg.
>
> Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20, 19:48:16 Apr 17 20
> 04

Right - this is not the modern Alsa driver. This is an older driver
created by Creative Labs themselves. It's hosted at Sourceforge.net,
but it's not the right driver for what you want to do. I think it's
this one:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1/

It has loaded and taken over the hardware which would then stop Alsa
from loadign the snd-emu10k1 driver. We need to determine how it is
getting loaded. It appears from your first post that your modules.conf
file looks about right. I don't know what else could be loading this
driver, but something is. Can you figure out what?

I really think this isn't an 'Alsa' problem per se, but more that this
other driver is getting loaded and oyu don't want it to.

Does Debian have an extra places to load modules at boot time? Gentoo
has an extra place, /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4, where you can
place instructions for this specific kernel, and one for 2.5, and
another for 2.6. Possibly Debian has something extra like this and
that's where the file is gettign loaded?

> PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0f.0
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:04.5
> PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:11.2
> emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 5 model 0x8040 found, IO at 0xc000-0xc01f, IRQ
>  9
> ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id: TRA35 (TriTech TR A5)
>
>     Mark> Possibly you are not loading the right driver, or possibly
>     Mark> the right driver cannot load because OSS is loaded and has
>     Mark> taken over the hardware.
>
> I don't see how this can really be oss, because aplay works.  Is it
> possible that knoppix renamed the alsa driver?  Because there isn't a
> snd-emu10k1 module for the only kernel I can actually run.

I misspoke. Clearly Alsa is at least partially loaded, but the sound
card driver is not loaded so Alsa probably thinks it's just
responsible for MIDI or something...

>     Mark> Getting rid of OSS is beyond my skillset, although there is some info
>     Mark> on the PlanetCCRMA site. It may apply since you seem to be running a
>     Mark> 2.4 kernel, although it's for Redhat and you're running Debian...
>
> I did it for my previous install by removing the modules, but I had
> the alsa modules for my kernel in that case.  I don't want to do it
> here, since I don't have the ones you load.
>
> I don't know why they make this so complicated.
>
> I think the next thing I'm going to try is booting 2.6.  I tried that
> when I was struggling with recording, but I know the answer to that
> one now.

That's a pretty big change. This is solvable. Let's try and find
what's loadign this driver.

- Mark