[linux-audio-user] How broken are epia boards for use with ardour? (sorry if you've seen this message many times)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 20:46:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:13:05 -0400, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 17:02 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > And I use both KT-266 and KT-133 chipsets. They work fine for me....
> >

> Yup, I have one of those too and never had a problem with it.  Maybe
> these are problematic under Windows but all of mine work fine.
>
> Lee

My machines are all dual boot. Never had a problem.

I think these warnings are seldom specific enough. For instance, back
in about 1995, when Intel was first getting into the chipset business,
they made some chipsets with bugs. (Saturn/Neptune anyone?) Via did
it. SiS did it. Compaq did it. If someone had an earlier chipset, or
one of the first chipsets from any company, then they are more likely
to run into this.

Here I sit typing on a machine that has an ATI chipset. First one I've
owned, or even knew about. Until 2.6.3 I couldn't get DMA for the hard
drives. I still cannot set time when booting and must use ntpd to get
the clock set. Hardware has bugs. (I'm a hardware designer by
trade...)