[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden transport / sequencer misbehaviour

Alejandro Lopez alez_cuatrosegundos at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 29 04:59:13 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Been taking my first stepts with Rosegarden. So far, I'm very impressed with
its usability for the fews tasks I've attepted so far.

The program is generating MIDI messages correctly. For instance, if I open a
pianoroll and click on a piano key on the left, sound is produced.

However, when I click on the "play" transport, the blue cursor which shows
your current time position dissapears, I get lots of complaints from the
sequencer at once (one per MIDI event I suspect) on the console (having to
do with timing of the MIDI events, will post them on Monday if relevant),
and no sound comes out. Sometimes, if I click on the rewind button just
after that, the blue cursor goes to the start of the song and the song
starts to play correctly (with the cursor being updated, moving to the right
that is). Once it's playing I can rewind or move the cursor (while playing)
correctly, so it's a kind of "startup problem". I can do this a few times
(stop and play again) but after those, it won't start anymore no matter what
I try on the transport. Also, whenever I've managed to get it playing it has
been with test files a couple of bars long and with a couple of MIDI tracks
only. If I load a full song in the form of a MIDI file, I get many more
complaints when I hit play and can't make it sound at all.

It looks like Rosegarden is failing to control it's builtin sequencer,
specifically I get the same behaviour when I route my MIDI notes to Timidity
(working as a soft synth) and also when I route them to a external MIDI
connector. Whatever it is, it looks like it has to do with the sequence, not
the individual MIDI messages (musical notes and so on).

I was wondering if there may be a way to somehow instruct Rosegarden to use
Timidity's sequencer for this task, the reason being that when I've used
Timidity as a MIDI player from the command line, it worked very nicely.

Does this sound familiar to any? Thanks to All.

Cheers,

Alex