[linux-audio-user] Advice for buying sound gear online

Glenn McCord clari_player at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 3 04:28:11 EDT 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

>On Wednesday 01 September 2004 05:56 pm, Glenn McCord wrote:
>

>>Hi all.
>>
>>As a New Zealander, I'm not privilaged enough to get the prices on audio
>>gear that the US citizens do. In fact an M-Audio Delta 1010LT (at the
>>current exchange rate) is going to cost twice as much here than from the
>>US. Ouch!
>>
>>Does anyone recommend a website for purchasing recording gear online.
>>i.e had positive experiences, good price, service etc.
>>I'm looking at getting a mixer and a Delta 1010LT however I noticed some
>>sites such as http://www.zzounds.com/ don't ship internationally.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Glenn
>>

>I'm an Aussie but live in California...have for 15 years now. My Dad has come
>over twice...similar dilemna only not quite as bad as I suspect the price
>difference for NZ...
>
>Anyway, poke around on Ebay for something that might be in your price range.
>Have them ship it to someone in the US if they won't ship internationally.
>The shipping is not that much if you don't mind waiting a few weeks. If you
>want it faster...obviousley more. Friend of mine in Sydney bought a Senheiser
>radio headset and shipped it here. I sent it priority and he had it in a week
>for $20.00 US.
>
>Delta 1010LTs...I have one. Looked and looked on Ebay until a used one came up
>for $180.00. Snagged it and it is good! BEyond that $240 -$270.00 US is what
>they go for. What kind of mixer? You don't need anything too elaborate unless
>you are trying to mix an Orchestra live to hard disk.  8~) Mackie and
>Behringer make cheap reasonable small mixers. Mackie being the better of the
>two regarding noise. You should be able to pick your mixer up there 2nd hand
>I should think. Just try to get your sound card from here. I think that's
>where you might be able to save a buck.
>
>R~
>
>If you don't know anyone here, I'll help you out. You know...Commonwealth
>brothers and all. And I get to say "sux peik" of beer and fish 'n' chups
>while I'm at it! :)  I have a LOT of Kiwi friends...

As opposed to feeesh and cheeeeps

I have relatives in the States but I feel guilty asking for favours when
it seems like I ignore them. Maybe I might take you up on your offer.
Or perhaps look at ebay. Haven't done that before but I don't know if I
want to trust second hand goods.
I've also sent an email to www.sweetwater.com (thanks Eric)
No hurry I suppose, things get busy when university is on. I'll just
keep looking.

Thanks everyone.