[linux-audio-user] Multiple Cards

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Fri Sep 3 13:10:38 EDT 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 09:01 am, Matt Barber wrote:
> Just a conceptual alsa question:
>

> I've been reading about setting up multiple soundcards in
> modules.conf/modprobe.conf, but most of the guides I've seen talk about
> setting up two different cards -- what if you wanted to set up two
> identical cards (like two delta 1010s, or two hdsp/multiface), will the
> names of the cards (like snd-hdsp) be exactly the same, and will it thus
> be difficult to set something like this up:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hdsp
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-hdsp
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-hdsp
>
> or will it number them somehow?  I haven't tried it at all, I'm just
> wondering for future applications how this would work.

This is all acheivable through the ubiquitous .asoundrc file. I think The Alsa
site speaks to the hdsp specifically under .asoundrc.

This assumes that your cards are already set up correctly...one would be card0
slot0 and the other card1 slot1 as you outlined.

The other factor is that the cards can link the internal clocks together such
that one becomes a slave in order to keep the cards in sync.

R~