[linux-audio-user] Strange "Illegal Instruction" Error Message

Neil Klepeis nklepeis at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 12:34:45 EDT 2004

Greetings,

I've just set up my music rig.  I get much of the Linux Midi and
audio software up and running using FC 1 and PlanetCCRMA, but I see some
strange errors for a few programs.  QJackCtl, QSynth, Muse, and Hydrogen
give a simple and fatal "Illegal instruction" message when invoked on the
command line as a simple user or as root.  Jack-Rack gives a segmentation
fault.   Any thoughts?

Some of the programs that seem to work fine are:  Aeolus, Ardour,
Audacity, Alsa-Patch-Bay, ZynAddSubFX, GMorgan, Rosegarden, FreqTweak.  I
can run KDE or Gnome on my system just fine, and Alsa and jackd work just
fine.  All the Alsa modules for midi and audio appear to be loading
properly.  Audio for both my RME HDSP card and the integrated AC97 work
fine.  I plug my Roland A-37 midi keyboard into an HDSP multiface.

My system is as follows:

Fedora Core 1
PlanetCCRMA SMP kernel
Dual Xeon 3.06 GHz 1MB L3 Cache