[linux-audio-user] Yoper Linux Distro & audio

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Tue Sep 7 00:58:31 EDT 2004

I have been messing around with this distro since Malcolm brought it up on the
list.  It's pretty neat IMO. 1 CD install, fairly easy installer...not quite
as intuitive as Mandrake but by no means difficult. Why>..Because I got it
installed!!:)  Uses APT with RPM's. KDE is it's prioritized desktop but FVWM
and others are available too. Currently running 2.6.8-1 kernel comiled
speciffically for this distro. And it's QUITE fast. Snappy desktop, quick
boot, etc.

So I got on the forum @ www.yoper.com and started asking if anyone had built
rpm's for Qjackctl, jack, Ardour, JAMin, etc.  No one had but some other
users were aware of the notoriety of these audio apps and were interested
too. I got to swapping e-mails with one of the developers and WALAH! We have
rpms built for Qjackctl, Jack, and ardour.  I have tested them somewhat but
not under all of their respective paces. But running as a user in "soft mode"
I was able to import some old wave mixes and run them with some LADSAP plugs,
etc with good stability. The kernel has some of Con Kolivas' patches but
nothing specific to audio work. I'm going to try working with the same guy
and maybe try incorporating the Ingo Molnar patches that keep sounding
promising for the 2.6 kernel.

They have a contrib repository. I have asked that the rpms be placed there but
I'm not sure what the policies / procedures are with these guys yet.

R~