[linux-audio-user] Re: ingo's 2.6.x patches

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Tue Sep 7 01:45:15 EDT 2004

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>>> For anyone who, like me, missed most of the past month or two of
>>> discussions, this is where Ingo's 2.6.x patches live:
>>> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/voluntary-preempt/
>>> Thanks to whoever posted the kernel-traffic link. I almost feel
>>> caught up to reality now. 8-]
>> Uhhhmmm ... anyone know if I want this:
>> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/voluntary-preempt/diff-bk-040828-2.6.8.1.bz2
>> or this:
>> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/voluntary-preempt/older/voluntary-preempt-2.6.8.1-P9
>          ^
> Gaaahh.  | That's the one, I think. Compiling new kernel .deb at the
> moment.
>> ???
>> (maybe I should just go to sleep and deal with this tomorrow.)

Ok ... I've got this installed now. recompiled the realtime lsm and
recompiled alsa-drivers.

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/voluntary-preempt/ANNOUNCE-voluntary-preempt

speaks of setting /proc/sys/kernel/voluntary_preemption to 1 to turn it
on ... trying this I still have the audio glitches and ecasound reports
xruns. I noticed when the system came up this was set to 3 by default. I
tried setting it back to 3, but still xruns. The audio glitches seemed
to sound a little better ... but, I'm getting a little punchy and the
work week is nearly upon me. I'll have to test more next weekend.

have more options been added to the /proc/ interface for voluntary
preempt since the announcement above?

I've seen some mentions of configuring alsa with debugging info. Is
there a brief explanation somewhere of how to best help with weeding out
the 2.6.x latency problems?

Thanks,
Eric Rz.