[linux-audio-user] regarding services and cron jobs

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Sep 7 12:25:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:20:48PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 11:25:16 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > > [dlphilp at localhost dlphilp]$ chkconfig --list | grep 5:on
> > > kudzu           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >
> > you can kill kudzu if you're not going to be installing
> > new hardware while recording :-)
>
> Whoa, removing it with chkconfig will stop it being run a boot time.
> Probably best to leave it.

I didn't say remove it, just stop any daemons temporarily.

> > > portmap         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >
> > i think you need that if networking is up.
>
> Only NFS uses it AFAIK.

good to know, thanks.

> > > crond           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> > > anacron         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> >
> > kill em both.
>
> Not neccesaruly a good idea, you might need your logs to be rolled
> every now and again.

I didn't say remove them! I just meant stop them while
recording / performing since you really don't want to kick off
arbitrary scripts at 1 AM just when your muse strikes :-)

I'd probably do it with a custom runlevel.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com