[linux-audio-user] Re: [Jackit-devel] realtime-lsm in the kernel

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Sep 7 18:48:05 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 18:31, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> Hi Lee,
> >
> > Now that the final touches are being put on the 2.6 low latency patches,
> > a massive migration of linux audio users to 2.6 is imminent.  Since this
> > means every single linux audio user will need the realtime-lsm module, I
> > think we should push to get it in the kernel, the sooner the better.
> >

> Count my vote in.
>
> BTW ...
>
> I'm having some trouble with latest VP patches on my P4 HT/SMP box. The
> trouble is that since Q5 that I can't get my machine to boot reliably, if
> at all. It goes almost all through the init scripts to drop dead on the
> beach, so to speak. It just freezes completely somewhere before the login
> prompts.
>
> This only happens if the kernel is configured for SMP/SMT
> (HyperThreading). The very same kernel configured and built for UP boots
> and runs fine. As I said before this was introduced on the Q5 patch, and
> the same showstopper is present on latest R6. Only with Q3 I'm still
> happy, altought only with softirq-preempt=0 AND hardirq-preempt=0.
>
> The "offending" box is a SUSE 9.1 based one, P4 2.80C HT on a ASUS P4P800
> mobo, 1GB DDR.
>
> I would like some help in squaring out this mess. I'm feeling left behind
> in this VP wagon... Even Ingo's site doesn't list Q3 anymore :(
>
> Lee, could you care giving me some insight on how or who can I point my
> thoughts about? ;)
>
> Does anyone else?

I posted the above report to LKML and cc'ed you and Ingo.  None of the
LKML testers are reporting this problem, it sounds very similar to the
problems others have had with SMP/HT but those were thought to all be
solved.

This is a pretty good report, it should be easy to track this down since
we know exactly when it was introduced.

Has any version worked with softirq or hardirq preemption enabled?  What
are the symptoms if you boot Q3 with either of the above enabled?

(Apologies to everyone if this turns into a long tedious kernel
debugging thread, but as you can see it's important for more people to
test these patches before they are ready for widespread use, and to see
what they might be in for ;-))

Lee