[linux-audio-user] Wave file conversion (multi-mono->stereo, then downsample/downsize, then dither)

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Thu Sep 9 14:02:19 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 10:41:50AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    Can someone suggest what tools I would use to accomplish converting
> two mono 24-bit, 96KHz files into a single 96KHz stereo wave file? Would
> sndfile-convert be able to do this? sox? If you have it handy, what
> command would you suggest?
>
>    Just for kicks I imported the mono files to Ardour tracks and then
> cross wired them to a stereo track where I am recording them, but this
> seems like a sill way to accomplish a task like this. My bad ability at
> the command line.
>
>    After I've done that I'll likely try going through Jamin at 96K,
> bouncing the output, and then I'll need to resample to 44.1K and
> downsize to 16-bit. How are people here doing dither on Linux? What sort
> of results are you getting?
>
>    Thanks in advance for any inputs.

ecasound!

ecasound -a:1 -i:mono1.wav \
    -a:2 -i:mono2.wav \
    -a:1,2 -f:24,2,96000 -o:stereo.wav \
    -a:2 -erc:1,2 -eac:0,1

Do that all on one line. The returns are escaped to make it easier to
read. This creates 2 chains, one for each input mono wav file. Both
chains are connected to the same output file. You have to set the format
for the output because ecasound defaults to 16,2,44100. You don't need
to set the format for the inputs if they are .wavs because ecasound will
read the info from the wav headers. Then for chain 2 you route channel
one to channel two (-erc:1,2), and mute channel 1 (-eac:0,1).

-ERic Rz.