[linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Sun Sep 12 12:18:21 EDT 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 05:24 am, R Parker wrote:
> [...]
> paragraph but it doesn't exist. If you don't fulfill
> the expectation of the title within the first
> paragraph, I'll never read the document. You jump into
> an unrelated topic about cheap computers and imply
> that they can be used as digital audio workstations.
>
> Here's a rough rewrite for the introductory paragraph,
> based on the rewritten title:
> If you need to build an affordable Digital Audio
> Workstation then a Linux based solution is a
> worthwhile consideration. There are customized
> versions of Red Hat, Debian, Slackware and several
> other linux based operating systems that specialize in
> including any number of the hundreds of audio, midi,
> sythesis and analysis applications that exist. A
> community of 871 Linux audio users and 781 Linux audio
> developers[1] subscribe to public mailing lists.
>
> Subsequent Paragraph 1
> This paragraph is about Alsa. It could include one
> sentance about the 2.4 kernel status and one sentance
> for the 2.6 kernel status. A comprehensive list of
> supported audio cards and relative information is
> located at
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All#matrix
>

> Subsequent Paragraph 2
> This paragraph is pointers to Planet CCRMA, Demudi,
> etc.
>
> Subsequent Paragraph 3
> This paragraph is about the Linux Audio community. How
> many people. Who uses linux audio solutions. Include
> specific examples and links to their websites.
> Prospective users need facts and examples.
>
> NOTES:
> 1. Statistics for subscribers to Linux audio mailing
> lists http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/subscribe.php3
>
> The rest of the document can explore the details of
> your personal endeavor; installation, use, etc.
>
> Another point that you should be aware of. Paul Davis
> the author of Ardour has requested that nobody write
> user or developer documentation for Ardour. His
> request is a little frustrating for many people but
> everyone has honored his plea. You need to be very
> aware of this issue prior to designing your document.
>
> Russel, I admire your willingness to post your work
> and to request feedback. It's fuckin' awesome that you
> have the integrity to do this. The feedback I provided
> might be total crap but what matters is that you've
> created an opportunity for someone to strike the right
> cord with you. I appreciate that. Don't stop!
>
> OK, one last random thought. Ernest Hemingway is
> considered by many to be a great American writer. He
> had an editor and as a rule none of his first draft
> material went to press. The same applies to music.
> Without exception, every composition written by the
> members of this mailing list can be improved upon by
> anyone of us. Nobody I know produces great results
> without alot of help. You happen to be the poor grunt
> that has taken on the most important and demanding
> task of producing something useful.
>
> I hope you find  something in my feedback that is

WOW!   :)  Clearly you DO know how to write based just on your email alone!

This was the sort of exacting feedback I was hoping for. My 10th grade
education did not lend itself to "Elements of style" in the writing domain; I
was far to busy looking at girls! :)

You make some great points toward creating good continuity to this document.
If I'm going to bother at all, I wan't it to appeal as something "usefull",
hopefully to several levels of users, potential or otherwise.

The item about Ardour you mention concerns me...primarily because I don't wish
to violate any of these type of rules / laws/ policies;  Is that really
applicable here? My intent is to describe how I personally used this
application to create an Effects box...NOt "how one should use Ardour in the
intended, technically correct manner intended by the Author(s)." But again, I
do not wish to piss anyone off here...that would be kinda counter
productive! :)  Perhaps Paul can offer his thoughts??

"3. Leave the humor to that dumbass Jay Leno."  Damn..there goes my hopes as a
carreer standup comic! lol

"Here's my rewrite of your title.
 Building Affordable Linux based Digital Audio
 Workstations"

I agree the title could use some work; but this is a tad sterile.  Fact of the
matter is, {not to disagree entirely with you} the Linux community as a whole
tends to be a bit geeky! LAU is more "left side o' the brain" than the
average server engineer I find...
I found the terminology and general response of Linux users, [LAU is not
nearlly so bad at this] while generous and forthcoming with knowledge, a bit
on the "pocket protectorized,  scientifically perfect, accurately calculated
AND sterilized of any personality to boot" :) This is not what attracts your
average Musician. They are artists (step out on a limb here)! {Let's at least
consider them as such for purpose of this debate.} I want to attract more
Winblows users to Linux...They have been numbed and brainwashed that there is
NO OTHER OS WORTH CONSIDERING... We have to be gentle on their grey
matter! :)  I suspect somewhere between is a compromise...

The "effects box" idea is a greater attractant IMHO because there are a great
many musco's that have had some time messing on a PC in some form or
other...but unless they had the big bux...the performance was not that great.
They probably did not persist too much...
Someone around here had made the statement that "Turn that old 486 into a
reverb 'cause it aint good for nothin else!"...this is a valid concept in
Linux...AND doable on a 486!  It is beyond capabilty and sense of reason in
Winblows! Can't even run XP or 2000 on 486 much less DAW software that uses
RT DSP. If they learn how to do the fx thing, the recording / messing /
experimenting thing will come naturally and they will have the hard work
done.

Again...The focus of this document is for Noobers!  No, or barely no previous
Linux experience at all. Bait for the brainwashed?? :)

I'll begin rewriting...
R~