[linux-audio-user] Laptop + Multiface = Easy?

Dan Harper tech at danharper.org
Sun Sep 12 20:00:32 EDT 2004

My experiences are doco'd here:
http://danharper.org/Linux_on_the_IBM_ThinkPad_R50.html

Some more info (which hasn't made the doco yet):

Last Saturday I recorded a band in the studio.  In total we did 8 analog
in, 5 analog out, 2 SPDIF out.

In a live recording sense, it worked sort of OK.  The only thing I had
trouble with were random xruns that started to appear half way through
the day.

Overall, it works, but there are a few minor things that I don't like:
 - I have to unload/reload the Cardbus/ALSA/HDSP after I boot, re-assign
IRQs etc.  Not sure why, but I haven't got time to wade through Fedora's
config mess to fix it properly (I just run a script after I login to fix
it).
 - xruns are $%*^& (really annoying).  I still get them every now and
again, but I may have tracked it down to using a reiserfs filesystem.
I've now switched to ext2 and there are less xruns now.
 - Is there an easy way to set mixer levels and config of the HDSP to
restore on bootup?  I haven't looked too hard, but it seems a pain (I
use SPDIF optical as my main monitoring, so I have to enable SPDIF on
ADAT and set the levels every time).
 - Ardour/JAMin/LADSPA/Jack etc etc "magically" get more bugs the more
you use them and rely on them for a finished project.  Some are REALLY
driving me nuts.  Apps dying is a common occurrence.  If you're looking
at reliability, Linux audio is currently not the place for it.  Some
people may disagree with this, and I can see why.  If you're doing
simple stuff, then fine.  But when you start utilising 10-12 tracks/7
buses/(sends don't work) in Ardour and LADSPA plugins/mastering.  The
process falls apart real quick.

If you're looking for reliability, then wait, or bite the bullet if
you're willing to accept the cost.

The weird thing is, that Linux has this "pull", based on it's
philosophy.  Once the software begins to further stabilise, then there
will be happiness.  I've been tempted every time I'm trying to just get
something done without a crash to go to windows or something, but I'm
hooked on the concepts.  Jack, Ardour, JAMin, Hydrogen, Zynaddsubfx,
LADSPA, all potentially great apps with source available, quick bug
fixes and an open community.  There is enough here to keep me here and
not wander off to windows land.  I'm just hanging out for these apps to
stabilise and offer what they are aiming for.  Then I can more easily
make some music, which is all good.

Dan

--
Dan Harper