[linux-audio-user] Laptop + Multiface = Easy?

Cournapeau David (ENST) cournape at enst.fr
Sun Sep 12 22:49:55 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

>   While none of this directly applicable to what you are experiencing,
>when I read your note it seemed similar enough to go ahead and write
>back. It might not only be the type of files system, but also where on
>the drive you are writing. It's not always that well known, but most
>drives are 30-50% slower at the far end of the drive. Most drives are
>speed rated when they are empty.

Without knowing anything about the details of
hard drive conception, I would think that ALL
drives are much slower for tracks near the
axe than on the border of the disks, since
the speed is proportional to the distance track->axe.
This is inherent to any system using a disk and having
constant angular speed.

I know that even windows
95 tried to put the data on the borders of the disks of
an hard drive as long as it could. I am pretty sure linux does the same.

cheers,

David