[linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 15:20:40 EDT 2004

Hi Eric,

--- Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie at rfa.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 09:18:21AM -0700, Russell
> Hanaghan wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 September 2004 05:24 am, R Parker
> wrote:
> > > Hi Russell,
> > The item about Ardour you mention concerns
> me...primarily because I don't wish
> > to violate any of these type of rules / laws/
> policies;  Is that really
> > applicable here? My intent is to describe how I
> personally used this
> > application to create an Effects box...NOt "how
> one should use Ardour in the
> > intended, technically correct manner intended by
> the Author(s)." But again, I
> > do not wish to piss anyone off here...that would
> be kinda counter
> > productive! :)  Perhaps Paul can offer his
> thoughts??
>

> As I understand it, Paul has been working on Ardour
> more than full time
> for at least the past 4+ years ...
> *on_his_own_funding*! Along the way
> he has made huge contributions to the linux audio
> code base in the form
> of extensive work on jackd, alsa drivers and various
> libraries. Not to
> mention the fact that his participation in the
> community as a very
> experienced and knowledgable programmer increases
> everyone's knowledge
> base.

Exactly! He's made a significant contribution and that
makes it very easy to understand his wish to control
the documentation for Ardour.

Perhaps one way to do
> this would be to
> write up docs on my use case, not publish it myself,

Not publishing them ourselves is important. You
obviously appreciate his position.

> but instead give it
> to him to include in his docs as an example to put
> in the appendix or
> something. Maybe you could do the same with your
> section on your use of
> ardour. I'm not sure if Paul would accept it, but it
> can't hurt to offer
> it to him.

It might save you some work to ask him before you
write anything.

Before jackd was written, I had outlined and written
many chapters for a book titled Professional Audio in
Linux (PAIL). The book was designed around Ardour and
I put a great deal of time and effort into the
project. Before I could publish, Paul asked that
nobody document Ardour. For various reasons it didn't
bother me at all to have my efforts nullified; 1.
Ardour is not my project, 2. I didn't have to finish
this big assed book and could refocus my attention on
using Ardour.

I don't mean to speak for Paul Davis or anyone else.
Especially when what I'm saying could discourage
someone from making an appreciable contribution. I'm
just trying to relay the message.

> Anyway, the point is that your attitude of trying to
> offer something
> back to the community is a good one. We users who
> are willing to do this
> just have to find the ways of helping that fit the
> needs of the
> developers and other users.
>
> You've inspired me to get my butt back in gear and
> do more to help than
> I have been.
>
> > The "effects box" idea is a greater attractant

Russell, I'm curious why you choose to use Ardour
rather than Jack Rack for routing audio to effects. It
seems to me that Jack Rack might be a better choice
because it's designed to do what you need.

I imagine there's more than one way to control levels
into or from Jack Rack and there would be a way to
create sends. Maybe I don't know exactly what you're
doing.

ron