[linux-audio-user] Playback of 44k1 on 48k (alsa bug?)

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Tue Sep 14 06:10:26 EDT 2004

Hello,

My thanks and apologies to all who have checked my sample files, and NOT
found the difference I claimed.

The false alarm was caused by playback problems. So, I'd like to know if
there's anything I can do about them.

So here is the problem description.

I am using the Intel ICH5 AC97 codec, on a rather good Asus motherboard.
I connect an A/V receiver to the SPDIF output.

I am using the 2.6.8.1 kernel. I have applied the -ck7 patch, but I
don't think it affects ALSA.

When I play back files that are recorded at 44k1, the sound is seriously
distorted, with a "ringing" effect. This applies to all files, including
MP3s I got off the Net, and to digital playback of CDs.

Digital CD playback was OK on previous kernels (I think I tested 2.6.5
or 2.6.6). So this seems like an ALSA bug.

Question 1. Does a known fix exist for this big?

Question 2. If not, do I need to report it somehow?

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik