[linux-audio-user] Linux DAW FX box how to for noobs...New Link...

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 06:32:58 EDT 2004

Last Saturday 11 September 2004 21:41, Russell Hanaghan was like:
> http://hanaghan.mystarband.net/7397fxhowto.html
>
> Constructive critism invited!

Immediate thoughts.

Yep. Way too many words in general, you lost me about half-way through
paragraph 5. All I want to know is how to do this thing. Personally I also
think it works better to refer to Microsoft Windows in a more respectful
manner, I know that's not necessarily how any of us feel about it, but it
makes a difference to the potential migrator. People take it personally being
told their OS is useless, even (or especially) if they know it's less than
perfect. There is an argument for use of relatively plain English, don't
worry about seeming a bit 'dry' (generally better to put the effects on
later. ;) - I don't think there's any chance that this article is going to
come over as boring.

Also this:
'A great many of the Linux distributions, all based on the same structure of
Linux created by Linus Torvalds years ago,'
gives the wrong impression. Linus Torvalds does the Linux kernel, The
structure of the distros probably owes more to UNIX history and presently,
GNU. There's probably a much better way of putting it than that. Safer to
credit the entire Free Software community for this than just one individual.

The actual HOWTO bit is much better, nice piccies! I'll be back to correct
your grammar later!

One last question: Is it really necessary to recommend running QJackCtl as
root?

If you would like to include any information about how to do the same under
Debian (A/DeMuDi) for completeness, I 'd be happy to provide the information
once you've edited the existing piece a bit. Actually, most of what I would
have to say is already up at: http://wiki.agnula.org/ and besides, you're the
author, so obviously, do as you will.

Keep up the good work!

cheers