[linux-audio-user] MPlayer and ALSA difficulties

cecil pierce silverwolf at accesscomm.ca
Thu Sep 16 01:34:21 EDT 2004

I currently installed (from source) the current version of MPlayer.  I
am experiencing difficulty playing video files if I use the MPlayer ALSA
drivers (the OSS MPlayer drivers work fine).  I get this:

ALSA lib control.c:654:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer99%
alsa-control: mixer attach /dev/mixer error: No such file or directory
alsa-space: xrun of at least 451.185 msecs. resetting stream
ALSA lib control.c:654:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer99%
alsa-control: mixer attach /dev/mixer error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib control.c:654:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer99%
alsa-control: mixer attach /dev/mixer error: No such file or directory
.
.
.

Until I ctrl-c the app.

This has only been happening for about a day or so (suspiciously after a
power-loss shutdown).  I reinstalled ALL of the ALSA RPMs from my distro
disks (Red Hat - Fedora Core 2, Kernel-2.6.8) and rebuilt MPlayer from
source as well but still no luck...

Going by the above, I looked at my dev directory, and it looks fine,
/dev/mixer exists as below:

ls -l /dev/mixer
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 14, 0 Feb 23  2004 /dev/mixer

I would prefer to use the ALSA drivers in MPlayer, and would appreciate
help in getting this to work, thanks!